The criminal justice system is the means by which action is taken to deal with people who may have committed criminal offences. Cases such as alleged theft, serious assault, racial and sectarian breach of the peace, money laundering or serious crime may all be handled through the criminal justice system.
At J C Hughes we have extensive experience of dealing in all aspects of prosecutions and criminal defence work which is one of our specialist areas of expertise. Our legal team has over 25 years of experience of advising and representing our clients in court, and senior partner Joseph Hughes is a solicitor advocate with rights of audience in the High Court.
These are some examples of occasions when we can help you:
- All Criminal Court appearances (District, Sheriff and High Court)
- Police and prison visits to clients in custody (anywhere in Scotland)
- Attendance at police interviews*
- Road traffic offences
- Proceeds of Crime cases
- Children’s Panel referrals to the Sheriff Court
- Prisoner rights
- Representation at parole hearings
- Instructing and locating expert witnesses
- Lodging and pursuing appeals
*In June 2010 the law regarding the right of the police in Scotland to detain an arrested suspect for up to six hours without access to a solicitor was changed. Suspects may now have immediate access to a legal representative, and at a time of their choosing.
This is why J C Hughes has a FREEPHONE helpline accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, as some circumstances just won’t wait.