The criminal justice system is the means by which action is taken to deal with people who may have committed criminal offences. Cases such as alleged theft, serious assault, drug offences, racial and sectarian breach of the peace, money laundering or serious crime may all be handled through the criminal justice system.
At J C Hughes we have extensive experience of dealing in all aspects of prosecutions and criminal defence work which is one of our specialist areas of expertise. Our legal team has over 35 years of experience of advising and representing our clients in court. Our experienced and approachable team provide clients with a high level of advice and representation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
These are some examples of occasions when we can help you:
- All Criminal Court appearances (District, Sheriff and High Court)
- Police and prison visits to clients in custody (anywhere in Scotland)
- Attendance at police interviews*
- Road traffic offences
- Children’s Panel referrals to the Sheriff Court
- Representation at parole hearings
- Instructing and locating expert witnesses
- Lodging and pursuing appeals
People who are suspected of committing a crime and are to be interviewed by the Police , have the legal right to access to a lawyer. We attend police stations with clients to protect and represent their interests before and during police interviews. Effective representation and good advice in a police station often leads to charges not being brought against clients.
This is why J C Hughes has a FREEPHONE helpline accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, as some circumstances just won’t wait.